Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Burning Man Adventure

Hello All!

I am leaving tomorrow morning at 4:30 a.m. for Black Hawk City, Nevada for my first ever Burning Man experience! In case you are unfamiliar, Burning Man is a week-long art festival that culminates in the "burning" of the "man," a 20-foot tall sculpture.
I have heard many things about Burning Man, some good some bad. Mostly, I am excited because this year's theme (people come dressed in costume) is the "green man," which represents the humans tie to nature.
I think this will fit in perfectly with Cat Scan's theme of "living green," and I am so excited to experience the event and all it has to offer.
Similarly, the event takes place in Black Hawk City, which I hear isn't actually a city until the event, and every person must leave with exactly what they came in with: that means, no leaving of anything behind. Not even cigarette butts. The city appears and disappears each year in coordination with Burning Man. I can't wait.
When I return, I will come back with audio, video and pictures capturing the event so that I can share it with all of you!

But first, there are a a few essential items that every Burning Man-ner should take (or so I've been told).

- Masks: in the desert, there are often dust storms which can make for painful breathing and eye infections.
I will be wearing the best paper mask that Ace Hardware has to offer.
- Eye Drops: for the same reason as above
- Clothes for hot weather: It can get to be as hot as 110 degrees. Let's hope it's not that bad.
- Clothes for cold weather: similarly, it can drop to 40 degrees in the evening. Eek!
- Costumes: Since the majority of the people I know that are going are bringing crazy outfits, I will pack Rainbow toe-
socks, a leotard, and a pink feathered hat that makes my hair look like it's bright pink.
- Goggles: you never know when a dust storm will hit you. Ouch.

Anywhoo... I am off to an adventure in which I have no expectations. I just hope it's as awesome as I think it will be. When I return, and hopefully while I am there, I will be making audio recordings and blog posts to share every step of the adventure with you.

First step: wake up at 4 a.m. and get on an airplane.
Wish me luck!

No comments: