Monday, September 10, 2007

detox time!

Okay, it's official: I have bogged down my body with crappy foods for far too long.


Partially prompted by the fact that I can't fit into my favorite pants, I have decided to go on a 7-day detox diet to clear my body of its addiction to sugar and wheat. Also, I am still reeling in the fun that my body had at Burning Man, and think it's about time to clean myself up.


There are literally hundreds of detox diets out there, but I am sticking to organic foods and drink. For sugar, I will eat fruit, and everything else will revolve around whole grain foods, dark meat and vegetables.


Last night I managed to find some really neat sites that give details about detox diets.


One of the most comprehensive, found at about.com, goes into the principles of Ayurveda, the traditional medicine of India, and details the foods that are most compatible with your Ayurvedic type.


From taking this fun little quiz: http://altmedicine.about.com/library/quiz/bl_quiz_ayurveda.htm, I found out that my body type is Kapha.


Basically, this means that the types of foods that I love to eat (long-since a sugar addict) are actually working against the tune of my body. So long, ice cream and sugary fruits like bananas.


The cool thing about detoxing is that it gives you a chance to know what your body is really wanting. Instead of eating pizza because I do every Friday at noon, I will let my body tell me what it actually wants.


As I sit here eating a peach and rice dream smoothie, I know that my body is sending me secret messages to go grab a pop-tart, but in the long run, it's worth it to be healthy.


Detox diets are not for everyone, however.


If you have questions as to whether or not it is for you, consult a physician and take this fun quiz from about.com.


http://altmedicine.about.com/library/weekly/bl_quiz_detox_test.htm



No comments: